Looking for ways to launch an eCommerce store concept?
Want to improve an existing eCommerce store?
Are you unsure of the right choice to make regarding your content management system (CMS)?
If any of these apply to you, knowing how to make the right decision is critical.
This is why we recommend choosing a partner to help guide your decision-making process and inform you of considerations now and into the future.
What Is The Best Way To Build An eCommerce Website?
There are two common ways people choose to start their business online.
1. They sell products using a marketplace such as Amazon, eBay, or Etsy.
2. They choose a CMS, and build an eCommerce site that meets their specific needs.
Although there is no single best way to build an eCommerce website, using an eCommerce web design company with vast experience in the field is key.
For the sake of this post, we will not get into the drag and drop solutions as they are not equivalent. We will discuss WordPress (Woocommerce) VS. Shopify:
Why You Should Hire Professional Website Designers
Getting It Done Right, The First Time
- Do you want your product(s) to stand out from the competition?
- Do you want to build your brand and be recognizable across various channels?
- Do you want to develop engaging content and gain loyal customers?
If you answered yes to any of these, then hiring a professional website designer to build a custom website is the way to go.
Although using a free website builder may be enticing (low cost, downloadable templates where you drag and drop your content, and quick launches), such systems are rather inflexible and difficult to scale.
A free website builder may serve as a short-term solution, but pouring resources into a platform that you will ultimately need to evolve beyond is not ideal.
A professionally built website is far more preferable.
Avoiding Costly Mistakes
Lower cost solutions, although they save money in the short term, can lead to long-term issues.
One big problem with free eCommerce website builders is that they lack true customization.
Custom designs require coding to make meaningful changes.
Without the ability to make changes to the code, you will have a general template that is similar to what many others are using, and tough to edit significantly.
But more importantly, you may run into design issues that are difficult to fix.
When you hire a professional eCommerce website developer, they design first (this is key) and then develop your custom solution on the platform of choice, helping you avoid costly mistakes.
A digital agency that knows custom design will also be able to make changes as needed.
WordPress VS. Shopify
Step 1, do you choose WordPress or Shopify as your content management system of choice. This is a very important decision. Some high-level differences:
- When dealing with a professional web design agency, the design process for both WordPress (Woocommerce) or Shopify should be the same. (Design in a prototyping tool first, then build)
- Shopify is 5x in difficulty and time of development of custom designs. If you veer outside of the Shopify templates, expect significant increases in time and therefore cost of development of your designs.
- WordPress is open source and fully-customizable. You can design and develop faster on this platform.
- Shopify is made specifically for eCommerce. Their checkout system is rock-solid and preferred by major eCommerce retailers.
- WordPress can be customized via premium plugins to mirror the Shopify experience.
- The CMS for both are vastly different, and require professional assistance (We would argue that Shopify requires more professional assistance on an ongoing basis, compared to Woocommerce).
The above are just a few talking points on the subject, please contact us to discuss your specific needs and situation, and we will provide solutions and recommendations.
Professional Managed Web Services
So, you have launched your website.
The question now is, who will manage back-end updates, security, and the myriad of other necessary functions for your website to be fully optimized?
Or what about the development and execution of a content strategy?
The advantage of working with a digital agency is that they can proactively tackle issues with you.
Why You Should Work With Us
If you are looking for a professional eCommerce website design and development company, we are happy to help!
We have decades of collective experience in designing eCommerce websites for various specialized businesses and would love to chat with you about your project!
You can contact us at 702-268-9000 or schedule a free consultation.
Want to know more about web design and why it’s important for your business? Check out our article, “Why Is eCommerce Web Design Important?”