There are many ways to find keywords for SEO. Our preferred method is to use Ahrefs.
Ahrefs is an advanced keyword research tool that can be leveraged in multiple ways.
- Finding keywords with high traffic volumes
- Finding keywords with medium to low difficulty (not much competition)
- Seeing what keyword terms are working for your competitors
- Analyzing high-performing competitor pages that bring in lots of traffic
- Analyzing your backlinks and checking your competitors’ backlinks
- Finding broken links on your website and fixing them
- Comparing your website’s traffic data with what you see in Google Search Console
- Running a site audit for your website
- Advanced site analytics
While the benefits Ahrefs offers are significant, the tool does cost quite a bit, especially if you’re new to SEO or are just starting a small business and have a tight budget.
Ahrefs has four pricing plans, which are as follows:
Lite – Starts at $99/month
Standard – Starts at $199/month
Advanced – Starts at $399/month
Enterprise – Starts at $999/month
Each plan comes with its own benefits. You may find the Lite plan useful, but to get helpful features like finding broken backlinks, you will need to get the Standard plan.
In our opinion, Ahrefs Standard plan is more than sufficient for getting started with search engine optimization. But if $199 per month is out of your price range, there are other keyword tools that cost less and still have plenty of decent features.
An alternative to Ahrefs is Ubersuggest, which we also use.
Ubersuggest’s plans are considerably more cost-friendly.
They are as follows:
Individual – $29 per month
Business – $49 per month
Enterprise – $99 per month
Keep in mind that Ubersuggest is not as advanced as Ahrefs, but it does have some very helpful features.
Benefits of Ubersuggest include:
- Benefitting from a fairly straightforward tool layout
- Seeing keyword volumes
- Tracking the rank of all your keywords over time (also seeing your average keyword position)
- Finding out which pages on your website have accidently been blocked so that they can be indexed
- Getting suggestions on which of your web pages could use further SEO optimizations
- Running a site audit
- Analyzing your website’s backlinks and the backlinks for competitor sites
- Seeing estimates of how much traffic your competitors get each month
- Seeing a list of your competitors’ best performing pages
- Using the convenient Ubersuggest Google Chrome extension
If you would like an entirely free tool, or an entirely free range of tools, then we recommend checking out our article 11 Free Tools To Use In 2022.